Summary of Position
The Associate Curator of Art contributes to the advancement of the permanent collection and the development of exhibit and related programming. The Associate Curator demonstrates artistic expertise in historic American art, with knowledge in historic European art, contemporary art, and contemporary naturalism.
The Associate Curator of Art reports to the Curator of Art and Research
Duties and Responsibilities
Exhibition and Visitor Experience
- Independently curates and manages selected exhibits on a regular basis.
- Manages the Bull-Bransom Award for excellence in children’s Illustration.
- Manages the curatorial intern program, including overseeing the selection process, supervision, outline of projects, and workflow organization.
- Assists with exhibition and collaborations with other museums.
- Contributes to the writing and creation of exhibit material such as catalogues, interpretive texts, and interactive gallery components.
- Works collaboratively with other museum staff on educational programs, outreach, and publicity.
- Assists with the development and growth of the collection by identifying artworks for potential acquisitions.
- Researches potential acquisitions and deacquisitions.
- Carries out additional research on the collection to estimate dates and establish provenance of artworks.
- Collaborates with the museum educators and curator of art on the presentation of the collection to the public, docents, and volunteers.
- Organizes regular review and response to donations, portfolios, and exhibition proposals.
- Responds to inquires made to curatorial department about artists and works of art in the collection.
- Participates in fundraising and cultivation efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
A Master’s degree, preferably a Ph.D., in art history or related field, with 3-7 years of demonstrated experience in one or more of the areas outlined above. Associate Curator should have knowledge and appreciation for historic and contemporary art in a variety of styles and media and must be able to physically assist with the installation of artwork, including lifting heavy sculpture.
Full time, Salary-exempt with benefits.