Call for Submissions for Full Circle: An Exhibition of Community Creation, Curation, and CollaborationJanuary 4, 2024
Jackson WY: The National Museum of Wildlife Art (NMWA) invites the community to submit artwork for the upcoming exhibition Full Circle: An Exhibition of Community Creation, Curation, and Collaboration. This exhibition invites the community to be inspired by or re-interpret one of four works from NMWA’s permanent collection. Not only will the exhibition be comprised of works created by community members–it will also be curated by the community. The pieces selected from the submissions by a team of community curators will be displayed in the Wapiti Gallery alongside the inspiration prompt pieces from the permanent collection during the summer and fall of 2024.
Artists are encouraged to create works that illuminate their personal relationship with wildlife and nature, and that explore the challenges and issues facing our community. 30 to 40 submissions will be chosen by other community members to be displayed in the Museum. The artists whose work is selected to be displayed on the gallery walls will receive a $100 award. Submissions not selected to be in the gallery will be on display via a slideshow projected on the gallery wall, subject to approval by the curators. However, we will not display or allow any submissions that contain hate speech or content that promotes violence, hatred, or discrimination against any individuals or groups.
NMWA is looking for 2-D artwork or sculptural relief, including collage, multi-media, fiber art, etc, that re-interprets one of the four selected works from the Museum’s permanent collection. Each submission must be submitted under one of the following four categories (each category has a corresponding permanent collection piece):
- What’s Below the Surface
- Social Scene
- Wildlife Portraits
- Wildlife at Play
- Accepted artworks must come ready to be hung, i.e. framed with d-rings or matted. If you have any questions or need assistance with framing please contact Associate Curator of Education and Outreach Julia Spencer (email@example.com).
- Artworks must not exceed 36 inches (unframed) in either their length or width.
- All artwork must be delivered to and picked up from the Museum by the artist. If there are barriers in transportation that impact your ability to deliver and pick up your piece please contact Julia Spencer (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange an alternative.
- We will NOT accept film, videos, or 3D sculptures for this exhibit.
- Your artwork must be available for display for the duration of the exhibit May 6 – October 5, 2024.
- We cannot accept artworks containing organic materials (i.e. plant matter, fur, feathers or bone) due to risks of insects, molds and other possible organic materials being introduced that are potentially harmful to artwork.
- To be selected for the exhibit you must submit COMPLETED and fully cured artworks only.
- Only one submission per artist, but works may be collaborative (worked on by one or more artists).
All artists must reside in Teton County, WY or surrounding counties including Teton County, ID, Sublette County, WY, Lincoln County, WY, Fremont County, WY, and Park County, WY.
Please direct any questions about this community exhibition to Julia Spencer, Associate Curator of Education and Outreach at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: 11:59 p.m. MST, Friday March 22, 2024.
Selected artists will be notified by April 20, 2024.